Consultancy Services for an Expert in internationalization for SMEs - BUSINESSMED's Employers Thematic Committees
EBSOMED is a 4-year project, extended for an additional year (2018-2023), co-financed at 80% by the European Union for a global amount of EUR 6, 25 million. It is co-financed and coordinated by BUSINESSMED (The Union of Mediterranean Confederations of Enterprises) in the framework of the EBSOMED consortium which consists of 6 members: GACIC (German-Arab Chamber of Commerce), ASCAME (Association of Mediterranean Chambers of Commerce), ANIMA Investment Network, EUROCHAMBRES (Association of European Chambers of Commerce), CAWTAR (Center of Arab Women for Training and Research).
EBSOMED has been designed to dedicate particular emphasis to reinforcing Business Support Organizations’ management capacity and efficiency through instruments, providing capacity building and training to improve the sophistication of Euro-Mediterranean Private Sector Organizations and help them address existing gaps.
EBSOMED aims at achieving a higher indirect economic leverage by helping BSOs to make a qualitative scaling up in regard to the services they offer to their beneficiaries, while pursuing this successful cross border cooperation dynamic.
The work of the Expert will be executed within the framework of both BUSINESSMED and the EBSOMED project and its outputs will feed into the achievement of their objectives.
Overall objective of the Thematic Committee
With SMEs representing the majority of Euro Mediterranean enterprises, it is essential that internationalization for SME should be promoted to foster growth and the establishment of scale economies. The aim of the Committee is to identify a set of best practices and guidelines to foster internationalization for their Business Support Organizations’ members to promote growth and intra-Mediterranean trade as a roadmap to recovery.
The works of this commission will be an important tool to feed the European Commission on a regular basis on trends and updated country reports.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identification of the available pertinent structural indicators.
- Analysis of their progress and perspectives;
- Analysis of best practices in terms of internationalization of SMES.
- Producing scenario and projections by 2030, bearing in mind national strategies ofthe target Countries;
- Make clear suggestions for the involved parties and the decision makers, to improve the trend and make it converge with the economies in the Region;
- Preparation of periodical surveys;
- Preparation of a regional factsheet;
- Preparation of a regional thematic paper.
The length of the mission will stretch over 10 months (September 2021 – June 2022) with an expected start in July 2021. The selected expert will be assigned to perform his mission for 10 months with possibility of renewal of the contract. The renewal of the contract will be the subject of an amendment signed by both parties. The appointed advisor will be expected to deliver through remote management (home-based) with the possibility of in presence meetings, upon request of the BUSINESSMED secretariat.
In addition, upon agreement, the Expert will be requested to moderate during specific events related to the topic of research, as well as to feed into the BUSINESSMED’s business talks format by moderating or participating as a guest in the format.
*It will be expected from the expert to prepare his missions ahead of time, desk research including reviewing relevant documentation (Structural indicators, trends, scenario, surveys, thematic paper etc...) and agreeing on relevant meetings for reviewing state of progress.
Outputs and tentative Timeline
- Preliminary study, and proposal of the research question: September 2021
- Periodical Survey: December 2021
- Final Regional Report: May 2022
- Factsheet (Synthesis of Regional Report): June 2022
- Guide to Internationalization for SMEs: June 2022
- Postgraduate training in economics and management, fields.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in trade relations, export strategy, international entrepreneurship, internationalization strategy for SMEs
- At least 5 years of consultancy experiences with demonstrable expertise in trade policies and export tailored services for businesses.
- A strong technical background in results-based management, work plan/activity schedule preparation and reporting.
- Strong organizational capacity and familiarity with European projects execution rules and regulations are essential.
- Good analytical and quantitative capacity with experience in survey methodology.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French is required.
- An ability to design and elaborate prospective studies and scenarios; ability to elaborate surveys, reports and policy papers.
- A track record in working with different countries from the EuroMed region is an advantage.
Submission of Proposals and Deadlines
Please send your completed application containing a CV, Cover letter and financial offer (part time / man day) to firstname.lastname@example.org before Friday 30 th of July 2021, stating “BUSINESSMED-Internationalization for SME TC” in the subject heading.
Kindly note, that due to the high number of applications only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.